Curious families and inquisitive adults can test their skills, solve transport conundrums faced by modern day engineers, and enjoy a series of fun interactive exhibits.
The new gallery inspires an interest in STEM subjects and highlights the creativity, social value and sheer range of jobs available in engineering, with one exhibit asking you to choose the type of engineer you could become: a dreamer, planner or fixer. Visitors can test their skills, solve transport conundrums faced by modern day engineers, and enjoy a series of interactive exhibits:
- ‘Drive’ a modern Elizabeth line train
- Be famous for the day by starring on the cover of The Engineer magazine
- Scan your palm with the latest ticket technology
- ‘Fix’ a train as part of the hands on ‘fixer’ challenge
- Plan a greener and happier city
- See the remains of a lost spiral escalator
The Future Engineers gallery is delivered in partnership with Bombardier Transportation, DCMS Wolfson Museums and Galleries Improvement Fund, Luke Rees-Pulley Charitable Trust, Cubic Transportation Systems, Jacobs, Mastercard and Microsoft.
We are on a mission to find fixers, planners and dreamers to become the engineers of the future. Take part in our family challenges and create something new and inventive as part of our online competition this summer!
Mission Three: Building Bridges Competition
For our third mission, brought to you with our partner Costain, we want to find Fixers to be engineers of the future. London Bridge station’s rail bridge has too much traffic! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to redesign London Bridge station’s rail bridge over the River Thames so it can carry more trains and makes journeys easier, faster and more fun!
Watch our Building Bridges video to help inspire you to create your very own poster. For more details, please download the instruction sheet.
How to enter the competition
- Submit a video or photograph of your poster via Twitter. Tweet your entry to @ltmuseum using the hashtag #missionfixer
- Submit your entry via email to [email protected] with the mission title in the subject line
- Closing date 1 September 2019
You can still enter our Robot Travel Companion and High Speed Train competitions too which are running until 1 September! Details about our missions can be found below: Mission One: Robot Companion instruction sheet [356 KB] and Mission Two: High Speed Train instruction sheet [331KB]
The prize bundle includes a choice of 2 x adult annual passes to London Transport Museum or 2x adult tickets to one of our Museum Depot Open Weekends (children under 17 go free), and a gift bundle from our Museum shop.
Full terms and conditions can be downloaded below.
Take our quiz!
What do I do next?
- Find out more about engineering
- Play a fun engineering game
- Play the London Transport Museum’s engineering card game, Going Underground [PDF, 4.42 MB]
- Come along to the Big Bang Fair
- Visit the Future Engineers gallery or have a go with our fun school holiday activities