Experience the warren of tunnels where Churchill sheltered
Down Street: Churchill's Secret Station
Dates: November - December, January - February
Duration: 90 minutes
Location: Down Street
Tickets: Adult £85, Concession £80*
Get an intimate peek into one of London’s most intriguing hidden spaces.
Located in Mayfair between Hyde Park Corner and Green Park stations, Down Street had a short life as a working station from 1907 to 1932 but became critical to winning the Second World War when covertly transformed into the Railway Executive Committee's bomb-proof headquarters.
Experience the warren of narrow tunnels where the nation's railways were coordinated, and where Prime Minister Winston Churchill secretly took refuge at the height of the Blitz.
Down Street: Churchill's Secret Station tours are on sale now for tours on Wednesdays - Sundays between 1 November - 8 December. In 2020, tours will be run on Wednesdays- Sundays between 17 January - 2 February and 12 February - 23 February. To find out more about what tours are available, please click the book now button above.
* Your ticket price includes a Down Street station tour, as well as a free one-day pass to London Transport Museum and 10% off all Hidden London-inspired products at our shop, valid within one month of your Hidden London event date. Booking fee of £1.50 per transaction applies. Full terms and conditions.
What our visitors say...
"Amazing evening yesterday experiencing the old disused London Underground tunnel at Down Street. The @ltmuseum tour which which around the old rooms talked through how the site was used in the Second World War and what went on there. Some proper history!"
"Amazing place to visit with the most fantastic tour guides of Hidden London"
Add a luxury cocktail package
Down Street: Tour and cocktails
Dates: November – December, January
Tour duration: 90 minutes
Location: Down Street and Manetta's Bar, Flemings Mayfair Hotel
Tickets: Adults £104, Concessions £99*
Explore Down Street on our unique Churchill's Secret Station tour before enjoying a treat at a luxury boutique hotel.
Book this special Hidden London package to see the tunnels below Down Street station where Churchill took refuge in the Second World War before making your way to the nearby Flemings Hotel to enjoy a luxurious cocktail and smorgasbord in style.
You'll be able to choose from a Finest Hour or a Summertime cocktail (or a non-alcoholic alternative) and feast on mini burgers, Caesar salads, sweet chilli glazed wings and prawns, charcuterie sticks, grilled artichokes and sun blush tomatoes, fried Scarmorza sticks and tomato and paprika fries.
Down Street: Tour and cocktail packages will be run on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays between 1 November and 7 December. In 2020, the tour and cocktail package will be run on Friday 31 January. To find out more about what tours are available, please click the book now button above.
* Your ticket price includes a Down Street station tour, one cocktail at the Flemings Hotel and a food platter, as well as a free one-day pass to London Transport Museum and 10% off all Hidden London-inspired products at our shop, valid within one month of your Hidden London event date. Booking fee of £1.50 per transaction applies. Full terms and conditions.
Hidden London tour offers
The Athenaeum Hotel offer
Why not try one of these great offers at the Athenaeum Hotel after your tour? Enjoy a cream tea, ploughman's sandwich or a soup and roll. Find out more on the Athenaeum Hotel website.
Christmas gift ticket
Looking for a unique present this Christmas? Back by popular demand, our special ticket and envelope makes a stunning festive gift. Perfect for Londonists, architecture lovers, transport enthusiasts or anyone looking for a unique adventure! This souvenir gift packaging is just £5 and can be chosen at checkout. Order by 15 December!
Hidden London Shop
Why not combine your ticket with one of our exclusive Hidden London-inspired products - now available to buy online and in London Transport Museum shop in Covent Garden.
Each Hidden London ticket entitles the holder to a 10% discount on all Hidden London merchandise at our shop, online and in store, within one month of your Hidden London event date. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- Children under 14 years of age are not permitted onto the tours due to health and safety restrictions & the tour narrative being designed for an adult audience.
- Visitors must wear flat sturdy shoes. Guests wearing open toe sandals or shoes, or high-heels, will be refused entry due to health and safety restrictions.
- Hidden London Down Street tours are 90 minutes long.
- There are 12 places available on each tour. Tickets are limited to a small group size on each tour. Restrictions on numbers are in place as a health and safety precaution and to maximise the enjoyment of your experience.
- There are no public toilet facilities available once on the tour.
- There are 122 stairs connecting ground and platform level. There is no step-free access to the tour, and there is no lift on site.
- There are areas of the tour with low lighting and periods of total darkness are likely during the tour.
- We request that guests meet at Office Space in Town, 10 Brick Street, W1J 7HQ, 15 minutes before your tour time.
- A member of the Hidden London team will welcome and register you on the tour, talk through the health and safety requirements, issue guests with a wristband and check everyone has appropriate footwear.
- You will be sent an event reminder email up to a week before your event with all the information you need to arrive on time and enjoy the tour.
- Upon purchase, you will receive your ticket(s) via email to the email address you provided. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy of the details in advance of your booking as mistakes cannot always be rectified, especially at short notice. Please contact London Transport Museum if your contact details change after you purchase your ticket(s).
- Please read the above notes for the tour portion of your event
- At the time of purchasing your ticket, you will be automatically booked into Manetta’s Bar at Flemings Hotel.
- Before finalising the purchase of your ticket, you will be asked for any dietary requirements.
- Your cocktail package booking will be made for directly after your tour. Please arrive at the hotel between 17.45 and 18.00. Your table will be reserved until 18.15. If you arrive after this time you may be refused entry.
- Please present your Hidden London tour ticket at Manetta’s bar. Your tour ticket entitles you to one cocktail from a choice of Finest Hour or Summertime (or a non-alcoholic alternative). No alcohol will be served to any guests under the age of 18.
- Should Manetta’s Bar be unavailable, drinks will be served in the Drawing Room.
For Hidden London enquiries please contact the Museum booking office.