Dates: Wednesday – Sunday, 11 April – 14 April, 25 – 26 April, 1 May - 5 May 2019
Duration: 75 mins
Location: Clapham South deep-level shelter, SW12 9DU
Tickets: Adult £35.00, Concession £30.00 (Matinee* £30.00)
* Matinee tickets are only valid for tours taking place from Wednesday to Friday, starting before 16.00.
Ticket price includes a half-price** one day pass to London Transport Museum within one month of your event date, and a 10% discount on all Hidden London merchandise at LTM shop, both online and in store, within one month of your event date. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Booking fee of £1.50 per transaction applies.
Explore wartime shelters deep underground
Journey 11 stories underground to explore one of eight deep-level shelters that exist below the streets of London.
Opened to the public in July 1944, Clapham South deep-level shelter has over a mile of subterranean passageways that reveal the extraordinary stories of those who sheltered here, from Londoners seeking refuge during the Second World War, to hopeful Caribbean migrants arriving on the Empire Windrush, and even thrifty visitors to the Festival of Britain.
** Applies to the on the door price
Siddy Holloway, Hidden London Engagement Manager, talks to London Live about Hidden London Tours and the Clapham South Deep Level Shelter and members of the Windrush generation who sheltered there after their arrival in London in 1948 (June 2018)
Hidden London Shop
Why not combine your ticket with one of our exclusive Hidden London-inspired products - now available to buy online and in London Transport Museum shop in Covent Garden.
Each Hidden London ticket entitles the holder to a 10% discount on all Hidden London merchandise at our shop, both online and in store, within one month of your Hidden London event date. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- Hidden London Clapham South tours are approximately 75 minutes long.
- There are 22 places available on each tour.
- There are 180 steps connecting the street level entrance and tour level. There is no step-free access and no working lift on site.
- There are no public toilet facilities available once on the tour.
- We request that all guests meet at the exit of Clapham South Underground station 15 minutes before the tour time shown on their ticket.
- A member of the Hidden London team will welcome and register you on the tour, talk through the Health & Safety requirements, issue guests with a wristband and check that everyone has the appropriate footwear.
- You will be sent an event reminder email up to a week before your event with all the information you will need to arrive on time and enjoy the tour.
- Please contact London Transport Museum if your contact details change after you purchase your ticket(s).
- Age restrictions: Children under 14 years of age are not permitted onto the tours due to health and safety restrictions & the tour narrative being designed for an adult audience.
- Clothing: Visitors must wear flat sturdy shoes. Guests wearing open toe sandals or shoes, or high-heels, will be refused entry due to health and safety restrictions.
- Terms and Conditions: Terms & Conditions for each tour, including joining instructions, health and safety requirements and ticketing information, are available on the individual tour pages and will also be sent via email with your tickets.
- Priority Booking: Priority booking is offered to members of LTM Friends society and LTM newsletter subscribers. Please note that due to the limited number of tickets available priority booking does not guarantee ticket purchase. You must sign up to the Museum newsletter by 23:59 on Wednesday 6 March to receive priority booking for Hidden London tours.
- Ticket sales: Tickets for Hidden London will go on sale on Friday 8 March at 10:00. Tickets will be sold online. All tickets must be booked in advance and payment made in full.
- Ticket allowance: Please note that there is a maximum of 4 tickets per event per person.
- Ticket price: The following groups are eligible for Concession tickets: LTM Friends, corporate members, senior citizens (60+), students (with valid student ID card), those in receipt of state benefits, and 14-16 year olds.
- Booking Confirmation: During high volumes of customer transactions you may not receive your e-ticket email and attachment immediately after your initial payment confirmation. Please don't worry, your e-ticket(s), complete with tour information and full terms and conditions, will be emailed shortly. If you do not receive your e-ticket(s) email within 24 hours, please contact the Museum booking office using the details below.
- Access: Each member of your group must bring a photographic proof of ID (drivers’ licence or passport) along with their ticket to be permitted entry. This is for security reasons. There is no step-free access to any of the listed tours. The tours all involve walking and may involve long stairwells (of up to 180 steps), static escalators, low lighting and uneven surfaces underfoot.
Upon purchase, you will receive your ticket(s) via email to the email address you provided. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy of the details in advance of your booking as mistakes cannot always be rectified, especially at short notice.
For Hidden London enquiries please contact the Museum booking office.