Route into Work is a short pre-employment course for 16 to 25-year-olds in London designed to prepare you for meeting employers and applying for jobs, apprenticeships or placements in the transport and infrastructure industry. It helps to bridge the gap between skills shortages in the transport industry and an untapped pool of young, fresh and enthusiastic talent, using our unique collection.
We offer support and an opportunity to work to improve your skills like employer communication, presentation and job specific knowledge. We also offer free lunch, free entry to the Museum and ongoing 1-2-1 support throughout your application process.
We run tailored courses throughout the year in response to employers’ live vacancies.
Courses run for a wide variety of vacancies from Customer Service to Engineering.
We also work closely with our partners to ensure that support is sustained beyond the final day of the course.
What can I get from the course?
Each course is tailored to a live vacancy and you can expect to leave with:
- An increased awareness of the dynamic careers available in the transport industry
- Information and guidance on job specific entry requirements and employer expectations
- CV, interview, presentation, professional attitude and behaviour training
- First hand experiences of work environments through site visits and/or employer Q&A sessions
- An opportunity to meet a recruiting employer on the final day of the course
What do people say?
100% of participants rate the course as GOOD or EXCELLENT.
“I think the course was brilliant, personally I wouldn’t change anything. The best employment course I’ve been on. It’s helped me so much. I’ve learnt more in 3 days than some courses I’ve been on for weeks.”
Nura A RiW November 2015
Working with Cleshar Feb 2016 – present
Route into Work Fast Track
Route into Work Fast Track is a free, short pre-employment course to train, prepare and guide candidates through each stage of Transport for London’s (TfL) apprenticeship application process. The course includes tailored support and training to help you pass the specific TfL assessments, building on skills such as CV improvement, communication, presentation and job specific knowledge.
This Route into Work course has been designed in partnership with TfL to support and fast track underrepresented young Londoners into Level 3 Engineering Roles for London Underground in Fleet, Signal and Track 3-year apprenticeships.
TfL’s assessment process for their apprenticeships includes taking a ‘situational strengths’ test, recording a 2-min motivational video, filling in an online application form and attending a group and individual interview. We will support you through all the stages of the process.
The course is completely inclusive, and all are welcome to apply, as long as you are between the ages of 16-25 (and 17 years old by 1 February 2020). One of our aims in Route into Work is to support those currently underrepresented in TfL’s workforce, by prioritising reaching out to women and to those from a range of cultural identities. Delivery of this course will take place in September 2019.
Travel can be covered on request.
Find out more about the apprenticeships available:
Vacancy 1: London Underground Fleet Apprentice
Vacancy 2: London Underground Signal Apprentice
Vacancy 3: London Underground Track Apprentice
Who is eligible to register for Route into Work Fast Track?
- Young people aged 16-25 – who must be 17 years old by 1 February 2020
- Must hold 5 GCSEs A*-C / Grade 4 and above (or certified equivalents) including Maths and English Language before the start of the apprenticeship (1st February 2020)
- Not be working towards, or already hold, a qualification which is at the same level or higher in the same subject or a closely related subject to this apprenticeship scheme
- Right to work in the UK
- Information Day: Wednesday 28 August, 2pm - 4.30pm, or Friday 30 August, 10am - 12.30pm
- Visit to Depot: Monday 16 September, times TBC
- Route into Work 3-day course: Tuesday 17 September to Thursday 19 September, 10am-4pm
- Mock Interview: Week beginning Monday 23 September, dates/times TBC
- Assessment Centre: Early October, dates/times TBC
Register to attend one of our Information Days by filling out the Route into Work Registration Form below. During this day, you will learn more about the roles available, the full application process for TfL apprenticeships and how Route into Work can support you.
Any questions? Contact us by emailing [email protected]
Deadline for registration: Sunday 25 August, 11pm
Email: [email protected]