Churchill's secret station
Dates: Wednesdays, Thursday, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 15 June - 9 July 2017
Tour duration: 90 minutes approx.
Location: Down Street, Mayfair
Tickets: Adult £77:50; Concession £72.50 (+£1.50 booking fee per transaction)
Ticket price includes one free day pass to London Transport Museum which must be used within 1 month of your event date and a 10% discount at LTM shop both online and in store.
Get an intimate peek into one of London’s most intriguing hidden spaces. Located in Mayfair between Hyde Park Corner and Green Park stations, Down Street had a short life as a working station from 1907 to 1932, but became critical to winning the Second World War when covertly transformed into the Railway Executive Committee's bomb-proof bunker. Experience the warren of narrow tunnels where the nation's railways were coordinated and Prime Minister Winston Churchill took refuge secretly at the height of the Blitz.
Down Street information
- There are 12 places available on each tour. Tickets are limited to a small group size allocated to each tour. Restrictions on numbers are in place as a health and safety precaution and to maximise the enjoyment of your experience.
- There are 122 stairs connecting ground and platform level. This is not a step free access site.
- There are parts of the tour with low lighting and near pitch black in places. Torches will be issued to each participant at the start of the tour.
- We request that guests meet in the Balcony room, level 1 at The Athenaeum Hotel, 116 Piccadilly, 30 minutes before your tour start time. A member of the Hidden London team will welcome and register you on the tour, talk through the health and safety requirements, issue guests with a wristband and check everyone has appropriate footwear. You will also be able to enjoy tea / coffee & biscuits to start the tour.
- You will be sent an event reminder email up to a week before your event with all the information that you will need to arrive on time and enjoy your tour (Please contact us if your contact details change from time of booking).
Important tour information
Upon purchase, you will receive your ticket(s) via email to the email address you provided. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy of the details in advance of your booking as mistakes cannot always be rectified, especially at short notice.
- Age restrictions: For Hidden London tickets from March to September 2017 the age restriction on tickets has been amended from 16 years old to 14 years’ old. Children under 14 years of age are not permitted onto the tours due to health and safety restrictions and the tour narrative being designed for an adult audience.
- Clothing: Visitors must wear flat sturdy shoes. Guests wearing open toe sandals, shoes or high-heels will be refused entry due to a health and safety requirements.
- Terms and conditions: T&Cs for each tour, including arrival instructions, health and safety requirements and ticketing information, are available on the individual tour pages and will also be sent via email with your tickets.
- Priority booking: Priority booking is offered to members of LTM Friends and LTM newsletter subscribers. Please note that due to the limited number of tickets available priority booking does not guarantee ticket purchase. You must sign up to the Museum newsletter by 23:59 on Monday 21 November 2016 to receive priority booking for Hidden London tours.
- Ticket sales: Tickets for Hidden London will go on sale at 10:00 on Wednesday 23 November 2016. Tickets will only be sold online. All tickets must be booked in advance and payment made in full.
- Ticket allowance: Please note that there is a maximum of 4 tickets per event per person.
- Ticket price: The following groups are eligible for Concession tickets: LTM Friends, senior citizens (60+), students (with valid student ID card), those in receipt of state benefits, and 14-16 year olds.
- Booking confirmation: During high volumes of customer transactions you may receive your e-ticket email and attachment after your initial payment confirmation. Please don't worry, your e-ticket(s), complete with tour information, and full terms and conditions will be emailed shortly. If you do not receive your e-ticket(s) email within 24 hours, please contact the Museum booking office using the contact details below.
- Access: Each member of your group must bring a photographic proof of ID along with their ticket to be permitted entry. There is no step-free access to any of the above tours. The tours all involve walking and may involve long stairwells (of up to 180 steps), static escalators, low lighting and uneven floors underfoot. Hard hats and torches will be supplied where necessary.