Dates: Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 14 July – 21 Aug 2016 and 2 March - 26 March 2017
Tour duration: 75 minutes approx.
Location: Clapham South deep-level shelter
Tickets: Adult £35.00; Concession £30.00 (+ £1.50 booking fee per transaction)
Ticket price includes a one half-price* day pass to London Transport Museum which must be used within 1 month of your event date and a 10% discount at LTM shop both online and in store. *Applies to the on the door price of £17.
Journey 180 steps underground to explore one of eight eight Second World War deep-level shelters that exist across London. Opened to the public in July 1944, Clapham South deep-level shelter has over a mile of subterranean passageways that reveal the extraordinary stories of those who sheltered here, from Londoners seeking refuge during the Blitz, to hopeful Caribbean migrants arriving on the Empire Windrush, and even thrifty visitors to the Festival of Britain.
Important Clapham South tour information:
- There are 22 places available on each tour.
- There are 180 stairs connecting ground and tour level. There is no step free access.
- There are no public toilets available once on the tour.
- We request that guests meet at Clapham South Tube station 15 minutes before their tour start time where the Hidden London team will welcome and register you on the tour, talk through the health and safety requirement, issue guests with a wrist band or hi-vis jacket, and check everyone has appropriate footwear.
- You will be sent an event reminder email a week in advance of your event with all the information that you will need to arrive on time and enjoy your tour (Please contact us if your contact details change from time of booking).
Important general information:
- Terms and Conditions: T&Cs for each tour, including arrival instructions, health and safety requirements and ticketing, are available on the individual tour pages and will also be sent via email with your tickets.
- Priority Booking: Priority booking is offered to members of LTM Friends society and LTM newsletter subscribers. Please note that due to the limited number of tickets available priority booking does not guarantee ticket purchase. You must sign up to the Museum newsletter by 23:59 on 18 April 2016 to receive priority booking for Hidden London tours.
- Ticket sales: Tickets for Hidden London will go on sale at 10:00 on Wednesday 20 April 2016. Tickets will be sold online only. All tickets must be booked in advance and payment made in full.
- Ticket allowance: Please note that there is a maximum of 4 tickets per event per person.
- Ticket price: Concession price tickets are valid only for LTM Friends, senior citizens (60+), students (on presentation of a valid student ID card) and those in receipt of state benefit assistance.
- Booking Confirmation: During high volumes of customer transactions you may receive your e-ticket email and attachment after your initial payment confirmation. Please don't worry, your e-ticket(s), complete with tour information, and full terms and conditions will be emailed shortly. If you do not receive your e-ticket(s) email within 24 hours please contact the Museum booking office using the contact details below.
- Access: Each member of your group must bring a photographic proof of ID along with their ticket to be permitted entry. There is no step-free access to any of the above tours. The tours all involve walking and may involve long stairwells (of up to 180 steps), static escalators, low lighting and uneven floors underfoot. Hard hats and torches will be supplied where necessary.
- Clothing: Visitors must wear flat sturdy shoes. Guests wearing open toe sandals, shoes or high-heels will be refused entry due to a health and safety requirements.
- Age restrictions: Children under 16 years of age are not permitted onto the tours.