STARS Sustainable Travel: Active, Responsible, Safe
We need your help to make travel in our city safer, greener and healthier for everyone. Do you have a talent for art, illustration or spoken word? Here’s an opportunity to get your work noticed!
We want you to create a poster, poem or comic strip to raise awareness of a transport issue and encourage people to make a positive change.
There will be eight winners - two per age category, who will win a prize bundle from our Museum shop worth £36, have their work showcased at a TfL/museum event, as well as having their entries displayed in a gallery on the Museum website.
You must complete your entry by 31 October. Good luck!
How to take part
- Read the information below and choose your theme (Active Travel, Air Quality, Road Safety or Passenger Experience) as inspiration for your work
- Create your poster, poem or comic strip
- Email your entry to [email protected] by 31 October
Competition entries must include the theme in your email subject line, (Active Travel, Passenger Experience, Air Quality or Road Safety) along with the name of the entrant, the category (Under 7 years, 8-10 years old, 11-14 years old, 15-18 years old) and the entry itself. We accept entries as a PDF, JPEG or Microsoft Office files. Each entry will be judged on creativity, innovation and how well it answers the task.
Winners and runners up will be announced on 16 November 2020.
For more information, see details below. Good luck!
- Under 7 years old
- 8 - 10 years old
- 11 - 14 years old
- 15 - 18 years old
Choose from one of these four options for your theme:
Londoners make 3.6 million daily journeys by motorised transport that could be walked, at least in part. There are many health, social and environmental benefits of travelling more actively – did you know walking or cycling can reduce stress, anger and tiredness?
- Create a piece to raise awareness of the health, social and environmental benefits of walking and/or cycling
- Create a piece that reflects attitudes towards active travel at your school and how we can improve them
Minimising road danger and raising awareness of distractions are fundamental to creating streets where everyone feels safe walking, cycling and using public transport.
- Create a piece about distractions and the importance of being aware as a pedestrian, cyclist and driver
- Create a futuristic piece where pedestrians travel safely from A to B without encountering road danger
Air Pollution halved during the first day of the recent lockdown, proving the impact emissions from vehicles can have on the environment. Since then, many people have discovered the joys of walking and cycling, seeing their local areas in a new light!
- Create a piece that showcases a city of the future. Think solar energy and zero emissions!
- Create a piece to demonstrate how everything we do as individuals can make a difference
87% of young people aged 11-19 use the bus at least once a week. For many this is a short journey of one or two stops which could be quicker on foot. Better awareness of behaviour and safety has a big impact on passenger well-being.
- Create a piece that highlights the importance of good behaviour and safety on public transport
- Create a piece that highlights the heroic effort transport staff are making to keep London’s key workers moving during the current lockdown
How to enter
- Only entries submitted via email will be accepted
- Submissions must be sent to [email protected] with the theme in the subject line
- All entries must include the theme, a photo or file of the creation and the type of activity the category (Under 7 years, 8 – 10 years old, 11 - 14 years old, 15 – 18 years old) in order to be entered into the prize draw
- Adults must submit entries on the behalf of children. We cannot accept entries from email for individuals under 18 years old
- Due to data protection and safeguarding policy, we cannot accept submissions that contain people’s faces
- One entry per child for relevant age category. No entrant may win more than one prize bundle
Winners will be announced on London Transport Museum’s social media and website on 16 November 2020.
- Each entry will be scored in three categories: creativity, innovation and how well it answers the task
- The top scoring entries for each age group will be shortlisted and the winners will be picked by the activity sponsors
Terms & conditions
This prize draw is open to UK residents, except for employees of Transport for London, London Transport Museum, Costain, Mott MacDonald, Cubic, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this promotion.
The prize is a gift bundle from our Museum shop worth up to £36. A total of eight prize bundles will be awarded.
Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, London Transport Museum reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
The winners will be notified via email on the week commencing 9 November. The winners must respond to claim their prize within 14 days of London Transport Museum sending the email notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse, and London Transport Museum reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
London Transport Museum may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and conditions or who has been deemed acting in a manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation, tampering with the operation of the prize draw, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving, cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants or a representative of London Transport Museum.
By entering the prize draw each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
All entrants’ details will be recorded and dealt with in line with the Museum’s privacy and data handling policy. Individuals will not receive any further marketing communication from London Transport Museum.
If you are picked as a winner, London Transport Museum has the right to use the photograph of your entry in its announcement of the competition winners.
Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
The promoter is London Transport Museum, Covent Garden Piazza, London WC2E 2BB. These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.