Vehicles

Railway vehicle; LER 1923-Standard tube stock trailer car No. 846, 1923
1923-Standard tube stock trailer with grey doors, lime green interior, linoleum floor, grey window surrounds and orange/brown moquette seats
Simple name : Railway vehicle
Date : 1923
Collection : Vehicles
Object location : Acton Depot
Reference number : 1995/1772
Associated company :
  • British Rail
Associated line : Northern line
Operated by : London Electric Railways
Associated place : Ruislip Depot
Bibliography : HARDY B. & BENEST K., Underground Number 11, Metropolitan and Underground Rolling Stock for the Isle Of Wight, London Underground Railway Society; 1983
Manufacturer : Cammell-Laird : 1923
Vehicle caption : Car number 846 represents a generation of tube trains known as Standard stock'. They were built between 1923 and 1934. This car, later renumbered 7296, dates from 1923. All Standard stock cars had air-powered doors instead of attendant-controlled gates at the ends. This greatly increased the speed passengers could board at stations. The last Standard stock trains were withdrawn from the Underground in the 1960s. After its withdrawal, this car was transferred to British Rail and ran on the Isle of Wight until the late 1980s.
Colour : Red,Blue,White,Black
Type : 1923 CL (2)
Fleet number : 7296
First date in service : 12/03/1924
Last date in service : October 1964
Record completeness :
Record 70% complete

Related items

The front of the Museum

Visiting

COVID-19 update

London Transport Museum is closed until further notice. Keeping our visitors and staff safe is our top priority so please keep up to date with our current plans.

Find out more

Sale £5 off bestselling games

Shop

Great games now £5 off

From Underground line-colour topple tower to Johnston scrabble and London Monopoly, check out our range of great games perfect to keep the whole family entertained. 

Shop now

Princess Anne escorted by 4 men at the opening of the Museum

Collections

Object of the month

This photo is from the official opening of the Museum on 28 March 1980. Director Peter Stephens is pictured escorting Princess Anne past the buses.

Explore more