Railway vehicle; LER Q23-stock driving motor car No. 4248, 1923
An Underground train carriage painted red with double-leaf passenger doors; the roof has an unusual design with a raised section across the centre.
Simple name : Railway vehicle
Date : 1923
Collection : Vehicles
Reference number : 1981/542 part 0
Associated line :
Operated by :
London Electric Railway
Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. : 1923
Tube, Sub-surface railways
Additional information :
The early electric trains used on the District line reflect American train styling and the influence of American financier Charles Tyson Yerkes. This carriage retains a raised section in the roof that was known as a clerestory and provided ventilation for the passengers. In 1938, the carriage was converted. The sliding doors were changed to air-operated doors controlled by push button. This allowed individual pairs of doors to be opened without every door in the carriage needlessly opening and letting in the cold, but this design proved to be difficult to maintain so was eventually discontinued.
Vehicle caption :
Q23-stock was the name given to modernised ex-G-stock cars. The G-stock was introduced to the District line in 1923. These cars were fitted with hand-operated doors, and were nicknamed 'horse boxes' because of their narrow cabs. In 1938 this stock was modernised so that it could run with the new Q38 stock. The modernised cars had automatic doors and electro-pneumatic brakes. Car number 4248. Its presented at the Museum as it was when it came out of service in September 1971, including contemporary advertising car cards.
Weight (unladen) :
First date in service :
Last date in service :