Station name sign; Plate from a solid disc roundel from Tufnell Park station, 1908
Blue enamel plate, reading in white typeface 'Tufnell Park', in red painted timber moulded frame. The bar, displayed with red discs, forms a solid red disc bullseye /roundel. This Tufnell Park Underground station nameboard represents the earliest version of the roundel. The device was introduced on platforms in 1908 to distinguish the station name from surrounding commercial advertising.
Simple name : Station name sign
Date : 1908
Collection : Signs
Reference number : 1998/6013
H 300mm, W 1440mm
Associated line :
Underground Electric Railways of London Co. Ltd : 1908
Chromo Wolverhampton : 1908
Additional information :
This is the earliest version of the roundel sign as used on station platforms. It is known as a 'solid red disc' style, and this one is from Tufnell Park Underground station on the Northern line. The typeface, dating from 1908, was used before the recognisable standard Johnston type was introduced in 1916. Tufnell Park station opened in 1907 on the original section of the Charing Cross Euston & Hampstead Railway.