B/W print; view of the façade of Bond Street station, by Underground Group Photo Dept, 1927
Bond Street Underground station, Central line. Exterior view of the station which was rebuilt between 1924-27, designed by architect Charles Holden. The two storey white Portland stone frontage presents a three panel clerestory window, incorporating a stained glass roundel. The entrance canopy supports two illuminated UndergrounD signs projecting at right angles from the facade. Bronze UndergrounD poster frames are integrated into the twin entrance pillars dividing the square cut entrance way.
Simple name : B/w print
Date : 1927
Collection : Photographs
Reference number : 1998/75671
Reproduced in :
Taylor, Sheila (ed), 2001. The Moving Metropolis. Laurence King Publishing in association with London's Transport Museum, p191
Bond Street, Westminster, W1
Underground Group Photo Dept : 1927
Descriptive size :
Content text :
newspaper: Sunday Times - The Trade Unions Bill by Lord Halsbury
Additional information :
Bond Street station was opened in 1900 by the Central London Railway, which later became part of the Underground Group.
Confusingly, Bond Street station is on the corner of Oxford Street and Davies Street. The original plan was to use the name Davies Street, but the name was rejected. In 1908, Gordon Selfridge proposed a tunnel under Oxford Street linking the station with his department store. He also suggested changing the station name to Selfridges. This was also rejected and the name Bond Street stuck.
The station was redesigned to include a sub-surface booking hall and escalators between 1924 and 1927. This photo from 1927 shows the facade, designed by Charles Holden, that was later demolished.
Original number :
- Underground Group Photo Dept