King William Street (Disused) Tube Station - conversion to air raid shelter
Simple name : Architectural drawing
Date : 1939 - 1945
Collection : Drawings
Reference number : 2003/22363
BRS location code :
London Transport : 1939 - 1945
Additional information :
King William Street Tube station opened in 1890. It was the City terminus of the City & South London Railway line, the first deep-level Tube railway in London. The station had operational problems and by 1900 was closed. This drawing shows the changes that were made when the station was converted into an air-raid shelter during the Second World War.
In January 1940, the station tunnel was leased to Regis House, the building above. A mezzanine floor of reinforced concrete was built and a new floor constructed at track level. Electric lighting, toilet facilities, and emergency ventilation were also added to convert the station to a shelter for Regis House staff.
The shelter had capacity for 2,000 people. After the war, the station tunnel was used for document storage.